??? I think it is fairly clear that with the necessary privs, I can request a
TCP/IP socket on any port (other than 0) and then bind a TLS provider to it.

The point I am making is that the fact the subscriber might use the certificate
on port 8443 or for that matter on any port in the range [1,65535] does not
mean that the validation process should allow other ports.

I currently have >40 TCP/IP sockets open on this Windows box and two thirds of
them have https on them. And that is just my development environment. I suspect
most of them are due to Docker or the Linux VMs.

More importantly though, how many validation approaches do we need? I would
rather work on reducing them rather than increasing them further.

In particular, I would like CAA to become a one stop shop for telling CAs what
they need to issue a cert. For example:

example.com.   IN          CAA       0 issue "comodoca.com"

example.com.   IN          CAA       128 udf
"MDTXA-Y7DQJ-P7IRF-XUCRE-2Y5TH-RVNHP"

The above record would prevent a CA from issuing a cert unless they understand
the semantics of the UDF record. So this is the only validation approach
permitted.

The UDF record requires that any cert request be signed or countersigned
according to a security policy that has the UDF fingerprint
"MDTXA-Y7DQJ-P7IRF-XUCRE-2Y5TH-RVNHP"

These are described here.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-udf-08