Awesome.

Thank you, Eric.

-Tim

From: Public [mailto:public-boun...@cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Eric Mill via
Public
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2018 10:43 AM
To: Geoff Keating <geo...@apple.com>; CA/Browser Forum Public Discussion List
<public@cabforum.org>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Ballot 221 v3: Two-Factor Authentication and Password
Improvements

FedRAMP has published guidance about the new NIST password/identity guidelines:

https://www.fedramp.gov/assets/resources/documents/CSP_Digital_Identity_Requirements.pdf

They note that the formal baseline is still not updated, but encourage folks to
follow NIST's new guidance regardless:

NOTE: At the time of this document’s publication, FedRAMP Moderate and High
controls IA-5 (g)

and IA-5 (1) (a,d) are known to be more restrictive than the new password
requirements in 800-

63B, AAL2 and AAL3 respectively. FedRAMP recommends Agency AOs accept
compliance with

NIST’s guidance that is most up-to-date and consistent with current cyber
security threats. This

may be done using an implementation status of “Alternative Implementation.”

I also confirmed with the FedRAMP program that the baseline is expected to be
updated to match NIST's SP 800-63, and thus avoid the need for any special
acceptance. But the point is that FedRAMP is not an obstacle to dropping
password rotation -- they are expecting service providers to follow NIST's
guidance and drop it.

-- Eric

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM, Geoff Keating via Public <public@cabforum.org
<mailto:public@cabforum.org> > wrote:

> On May 15, 2018, at 8:37 AM, Patrick Tronnier via Public <public@cabforum.org
> <mailto:public@cabforum.org> > wrote:
>
> I want to make it clear that OATI agrees with the minimum 2 year password
> period as the more secure route. It is FedRAMP and other standards which
> don’t. J

I've been looking at FedRAMP, because I was surprised they'd be putting out
guidelines that conflict with NIST guidelines, and I can't find this
requirement; for the 'high security controls'
(https://www.fedramp.gov/assets/resources/documents/FedRAMP_High_Security_Controls.xlsx),
 it does require you have a minimum and maximum password lifetime in
IA-05(1)(d), but it says the actual limits are organization-defined, so you can
ask the organization to set the maximum lifetime to, say, 3 years.

Eric Mill

Senior Advisor, Technology Transformation Services

Federal Acquisition Service, GSA

eric.m...@gsa.gov <mailto:eric.m...@gsa.gov> , +1-617-314-0966