From: Wayne Thayer <wtha...@mozilla.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:56 PM
To: Bruce Morton <bruce.mor...@entrustdatacard.com>; CA/Browser Forum Public
Discussion List <public@cabforum.org>
Cc: Tim Hollebeek <tim.holleb...@digicert.com>; Jeremy Rowley
<jeremy.row...@digicert.com>; Ryan Sleevi <sle...@google.com>
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] [EXTERNAL]Re: Issuance of certificates for keys reported
as compromised

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:15 PM Bruce Morton via Public <public@cabforum.org
<mailto:public@cabforum.org> > wrote:

BR 6.1.1.3 states “The CA SHALL reject a certificate request if the requested
Public Key does not meet the requirements set forth in Sections 6.1.5 and 6.1.6
or if it has a known weak Private Key (such as a Debian weak key, see
http://wiki.debian.org/SSLkeys).”

My assumption is a certificate which has been revoked due to compromise has a
“weak Private Key.” As such, based on the current BRs, a CA should reject
certificate requests using a key from a certificate that they revoked due to
compromise.

If we're talking about the same CA re-signing a key previously used in a
certificate that the CA revoked due to key compromise, then [if nothing else]
the CA must revoke the new certificate within 24 hours per 4.9.1.1(3). Thus, I
would expect that CAs are checking for reuse of compromised private keys prior
to issuance.

If we're talking about other CAs rejecting the compromised key, then I have to
question whether there is enough benefit to offset the substantial effort
involved in designing and running a system that isn't susceptible to the
concerns Ryan raised. It'd be interesting to see a proposal.

Bruce.