On 07.11.2011 11:23, Colin Guthrie wrote:
'Twas brillig, and Ben Bucksch at 07/11/11 02:55 did gyre and gimble:
On 07.11.2011 03:34, Ben Bucksch wrote:
Is there a module that can run a (configurable) shell command when

   * sound output is needed, i.e. an application plays a sound, and
     it's not muted
   * no sound output is needed anymore, after a certain configurable
     timeout, e.g. no sound played in the last 120 minutes

? Effectively, this would work exactly like a screen saver, just for
sound, not for the screen/input.
FYI: Ford_Perfect pointed me to
http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/device-reservation.html
http://git.0pointer.de/?p=reserve.git;a=blob_plain;f=reserve.txt

(if anybody has better solutions, please let me know)
Ahh interesting. Yeah you could use this to know when PA is playing
sound. All you'd need is a simple dbus integration and you could write
your app accordingly completely separate of PA.

The other option is to get your hands dirty, write a module in PA and
use that.

I think other people may have posted similar modules in the past, but it
won't be too difficult to do it either way - module-suspend-on-idle will
have pretty much all the infrastructure you'd need.

Of course some apps misbehave (e.g. flash) and keep their streams around
even when they are not playing and thus may need some kind of special
handling here that you probably won't get via dbus or idle status.

Ah. That's why I said "an application plays a sound" not "a source is connected". I have apps connected constantly, e.g. an mplayer on pause. This is normal in my usecases, the speakers *must* turn off anyway.

If the dbus trick doesn't provide that, I can't use that. Does module-suspend-on-idle handle this case? Can I hook up a shell command there?

other people may have posted similar modules in the past

Do you have the URL of them, or at least remember some keywords to search for?

Ben