I found a solution of sorts. So in case someone else has the same issue ...

I remapped the NoMachine microphone source to a new source - without changing
any parameters. I also had to disable the suspend-on-idle module because
otherwise the newly created remapped source would sometimes get suspended and I
found no way to un-suspend it. Magic incantations:
pacmd unload-nodule module-suspend-on-idle
pacmd remap-source master=nx_voice_out.monitor source_name=Microphone
I don't really understand why this works. The remapped source is just a
renaming, since I didn't change any parameters of the master.
I'd like a way to un-suspend a source after it has been suspended because of
idle - pacmd suspend-source false - doesn't do it.
Shankar