Oh, say, that does sound plausible!  It definitely seems like it's
intentional behavior.  Mine are the "classic" style of monitors, so they
don't have the cool LED screens on the back.  I didn't think I needed them,
but being able to switch off that behavior would be handy.

There is a volume knob on the back of each speaker, so it'd be a minor
hassle to keep them balanced, but it would certainly beat cranking the
volume over the threshold every time they go into standby.  I think I'll
start by decreasing the speakers' volume while putting the master PC volume
into its upper ranges.  That honestly ought to suffice, but I'll see
whether I can switch that behavior off entirely.

Thanks for the clue, Sean!

-Chris