On Mon, 15 Feb 2021, Sean Greenslade wrote:

For the record, I would be very surprised if your version of pavucontrol
had anything to do with these issues. In your other email, you show this
output from your pacat record attempt:

Sean,

I didn't think it did, but I saw nothing else that changed.

$ pacat -v -r --file-format=wav /tmp/sounds.wav
Opening a recording stream with sample specification 's16le 2ch 44100Hz' and
channel map 'front-left,front-right'.
Connection established.
Stream successfully created.
Buffer metrics: maxlength=4194304, fragsize=352800
Using sample spec 's16le 2ch 44100Hz', channel map 'front-left,front-right'.
Connected to device alsa_output.pci-0000_0a_00.3.analog-stereo.monitor (index:
0, suspended: no).

Notice the last line, where it reports the source it has attached to is
the alsa output monitor source. This was recording the _output_ of your
built-in sound card, hence why you heard nothing upon playback.

I didn't know how to interpret that line. Now I do.

Pacat / parec will respect the fallback selection as the default recording
source if you don't supply one explicitly, so that will most likely be
what made the difference between your tests.

Ah! There is no sound.wav here in any partition or directory. I was using
vokoscreenNG to record sound while the webcam captured me speaking. When I
played the video with vlc there was no sound. But, ffprobe showed the output
file had both video and audio streams.

Have you a suggestion how I can ensure my videos also produce audio output
when played and I've specified a .mp4 output for the recording?

Thanks again,

Rich