As an additional data point...

Another long pause of rhythmbox (i.e. I got up and left the room and
came back an hour later) followed by a resume while PA was in this "CPU
consumption" and PA is now, no longer consuming gobs of CPU.

I didn't happen to notice how long after the pause that PA stopped
consuming so much CPU, or if in fact it did stopped when I paused RB, or
only when I resumed it again.  I only just happen to notice it was no
longer hogging after I had resumed RB again and went to see what the
result was looking like.

b.