On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 09:05 -0600, Luke Kanies wrote:
> On Nov 4, 2008, at 2:24 AM, Brice Figureau wrote:
>
> > My concern is that puppetdoc right now doesn't use puppet.conf at all,
> > and I'd like to keep this behavior. I want to be able to generate docs
> > for a pile of manifests, modules or not. If I tie puppetdoc rdoc
> > generation to puppet.conf :modulepath, then the only rdoc puppetdoc
> > will
> > be able to generate will be the manifests hosted on the current
> > puppetmaster for a given environment.
> >
> > We could go this way (that'd be way simpler to know where the
> > manifests
> > are, or where the modules are), but then it fixes the documentation
> > puppetdoc can generate (ie it'd be impossible to put some modules in a
> > path and run puppetdoc over it).
> >
> > Or I could change puppetdoc rdoc to take more arguments like
> > "--modulepath /path/to/modules" along with the path where to find the
> > "global" (or site) manifests. If --modulepath is not mentionned then
> > we
> > assume that analysed path contains only modules.
>

> I'd do that.  Just generate docs for what people specify.
>
> I'd also probably have puppetdoc accept standard ARGV arguments, and
> consider those to be normal manifests, which it could then produce
> output for on stdout.  E.g., you could do:
>
>    puppetdoc manifests/site.pp
>
> and it would give you docs for just that file,

Yes, that is planned, but that's a complete different thing than the
current rdoc implementation (although it is simple to have).
What is still unknown at this stage for this mode is what to output in
this mode... All comments? Only classes, defines and nodes ? in which
order (I'm afraid that's not something I can control though) ?

> or, as you say, you
> could do:
>
>    puppetdoc --modulepath <...> --manifest <...>
>
> Maybe the --manifest becomes redundant at that point, though.

My idea was:
puppetdoc --modulepath <module path1> --modulepath <module path2> <path1>
<path2>...

path1: contains manifests
path2: contains manifests too
modulepath1: contains only a module hierarchy
modulepath2: contains only a module hierarchy

If path1 or path2 encompass any module specified in modulepath, those
get treated as module of course. The question that remains is, if path1
and path2 don't encompass any module path, should I treat those module
path as information, or should I go and scan also those to produce
documentation.

--
Brice Figureau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>