On 10 March 2010 03:56, Nigel Kersten <nig...@google.com> wrote:

>>> Yep, that's pretty much what I was proposing.   I'm a big fan of
>>> structured stdin/stdout interfaces for quick extensibiility (and
>>> JSON).
>>>
>>> We could start by doing something that supports non-datastructured
>>> facts now, and add datastructures later.
>>> For now, it could just assert in the code that the type of each hash
>>> key was a string or int.
>>
>> I concur on the basic plan.
>>
>> I'd add that having some plain data, like /etc/facter.d/foo, wouldn't be all
>> bad, either, so you could just statically declare facts.
>

> ++
>
> I reckon something like:
>
> /etc/facter/facter.conf (main config file)
> /var/lib/facter/data.d/ (plain text files containing fact values)
> /var/lib/facter/plugins.d/ (foreign language executables returning fact
> values)
>
> The natural location for all these things differs across platforms, so
> it should be added to the install.rb script to make them
> configurable... http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/3361

I'd also love to move the default search path logic not to be
$LOAD_PATH.collect { |d| File.join(d, "facter") }, so we can have a
sensible (ie not everything under util/) hierachy for facter's core
functionality. But that's probably a breaking change, but we can
safely add say a configurable location for native facts in parallel
with config, key/value fact files and executable fact files.

Paul