On 30/05/10 03:52, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Brice Figureau <brice-pup...@daysofwonder.com> writes:
>>>
>>> A few thoughts I had on first read through: Is this a use case for
>>> hashes?  Should it be a passthrough / override setup (so that the module
>>> write can provide defaults for values the user does not provide)? At
>>> what epistemological level is the data path determined?
>>
>> Luke mentioned yaml, so that external data are pure data. Using hashes
>> would make our pure data more data in code than data.
>
> If you forgive me saying it, I have not the faintest idea what you were
> *trying* to convey here: YAML supports the hash as a basic data structure, so
> this seems somewhere between meaningless and crazy to state.
>

> So, I don't know what you were trying to say when you suggest that a hash is
> somehow "less pure" as a data format than an array or a string, but your point
> sure didn't get across to at least some of the audience.
>

> Er, and perhaps it doesn't help my confusion that the existing extlookup tool
> models exclusively a (single level) hash data structure, based on key in the
> first column, and multiple additional named columns for each row...

I was referring to Puppet DSL hashes, not hash in general as a data
structure.

Puppet hashes are data structures (code data structure even), yes, but
expressed in a language and not a format.

Expressed differently, a hash is code (puppet dsl code even), yaml is data.

That means if you want to process this hash, you need to "parse/compile"
it with the puppet code, compared to yaml that can be slurped in almost
every language or computing environment.

--
Brice Figureau
My Blog: http://www.masterzen.fr/