W dniu wtorek, 28 stycznia 2014 16:47:53 UTC+1 użytkownik henrik lindberg
napisał:

> On 2014-27-01 4:00, Pawel Tomulik wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > macros in puppets ->
> > http://forge.puppetlabs.com/ptomulik/macro<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fforge.puppetlabs.com%2Fptomulik%2Fmacro&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGkvKX-MD6afhQeTuuvQSBN4uj0mw>
> >

> > They're similar to parser functions with three differences:
> >
> >   * macro names may resemble names of puppet variables/bindings, e.g.
> >     'foo::bar::geez'
> >   * stored in a hierarchy of directories, that is (for macro
> >     'foo::bar::geez'):
> >
> >        + lib/puppet/parser/macros/
> >          + foo/
> >            + bar/
> >              + geez.rb
> >
> >   * they're a little bit easier to implement than functions, because
> >     arity checking is provided out of the box
> >
> > In some cases these macros may be more handy than 'params' classes when
> > defining defaults for parameters. For example defaults for defined types
> > which vary from instance to instance, or values which are hard to be
> > computed in puppet DSL may be easily handled with macros.
> >

> I have been working on a new API for functions that I hope we will be
> able to finish for Puppet 4.0. I have just started and have looked at
> the work dalen and zaphod42 did earlier.
>
> The need for a new API is because the 3x API requires values to be
> presented to functions in a particular way (empty strings instead of
> undef is one of those). If we want to fix that we do need to have a new
> API. I will come back later and present ideas in more detail (I am not
> quite done with exploration yet).
>
> Requirements as I see them:
>
> * Must be redefinable in different environments / be reloadable
> * Support fully qualified names

Names with '::'? So probably they can't be just module members (or there
must be an additional step of registering these methods under fqdn names).

> * Support arity (fixed and variable)

It appear that this is quite easy to implement, the idea is just to convert
procs/blocks provided by user at definition point to lambas and store
lambdas. Basically, I use this code in my implementation of macros:
https://gist.github.com/ptomulik/8670700. Of course, if you store puppet
functions as a regular methods it becomes even easier.

> * Support default arguments

Works only on ruby 1.9+ (at least when we speek in terms of lambdas/procs).
On 1.8 `|a=nil|` is a syntax error.

> * Support the new type system with automatic type checking
> * Support overloading of one function (i.e. multiple signatures)

That would be great! And shouldn't be so hard to implement, at least on
ruby 1.9+.

> * Be easy to write for simple functions

The current interface is not so scary, the only scary thing is the need to
validate arguments manually, which usually takes 85% of the function's
code. If there were dedicated validators, it would be just great! I
suppose, most of the work could be done by the type system with automatic
type checking (if it's applicable to function arguments).

> * Easy to test

So - special rspec helper for functions?

> * Callable direct from Ruby

Current functions are actually callable from ruby, aren't they?

* Protected from exposure from "too much non API" to reduce future