On Fri Nov 14 2014 at 7:16:07 PM Felix Frank <
felix.fr...@alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> On 11/14/2014 07:09 PM, Henrik Lindberg wrote:
> >
> > Please note that some changes in puppet 4 mean that puppet 3 agents
> > won’t be able to talk to puppet 4 masters (or vice-versa). This probably
> > means you don’t want to be updating puppet itself with “ensure =>
> latest” :)
> >

> Hi,
>
> point taken, but what will the update plan look like for a large
> installation? Will users be required to incorporate MCollective or
> similar to be able to upgrade their agents?
>
> Or should they try making all their agents update themselves until each
> last one won't talk to the master again, which can then be "safely"
> updated.
>
> The latter will not fly.

I would probably install a Puppet 4 master in parallell with my 3.x master
and test Puppet 4.x agents against that. And then when ready to migrate I'd
upgrade the agents and point them to use that master. And then decommission
the old master when there's no 3.x agents left.

Way more reasonable than trying to upgrade every client and server at the
same time, and also gives you opportunity to actually test out the new
version before migrating to it.

That's also how I did the 2.7.x to 3.x migration btw.