There's probably a way to do that, but I don't think it's a good idea.

In order to look at the 'path' attribute of the 'file' resource, you'd need
to specify which 'file' resource your new_type relates to. That means
new_type would have a property with the value File['interface'], which
isn't much different than having the 'path' property. Unless your type is
specifically operating on the File resource abstraction, rather than the
physical file itself, using 'path' seems to make more sense.

Overloading the notify/require relationship to make that association would
be a bad idea - they're 1-to-many and many-to-1 relationships - and
probably complicated to make work.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 7:38 AM, ganesh634 <ganesh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pasted below an example relation for new resource say 'new_type'.
>

>         file
>
>         { "interface":
>
>                 path    => "/var/tmp/test.txt",
>
>                 content => template("module/test_template.erb"),
>
>                 notify  => new_type['sample'],
>
>         }
>
>         new_type
>
>         { "sample":
>
>                 path  => "/var/tmp/test.txt",
>
>                 active =>true,
>
>                 ensure=>present,
>
>         }
>

> In 'new_type' resource implementation I want to access value of 'path'
> attribute value from 'file' resource to determine certain action in
> 'new_type' resource.
>
> With current approach I have to keep ‘path’ attribute in ‘new_type’ and
> mandate user to have ‘path’ value same as that of ‘path’ value in file
> resource.
>

> How can I access 'file’ resource 'path' attribute value in 'new_type'
> resource implementation?
> If it is possible I can remove the 'path' attribute from 'new_type'
> resource body as value of both path need to be same all the time.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/004da5f1-be9f-4352-a1f8-b43f34c2d859%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/puppet-dev/004da5f1-be9f-4352-a1f8-b43f34c2d859%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Michael Smith
Sr. Software Engineer, Puppet Labs

*PuppetConf 2015 <http://2015.puppetconf.com/> is coming to Portland,
Oregon! Join us October 5-9.*
*Register now to take advantage of the Early Adopter discount
<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/puppetconf-2015-october-5-9-tickets-13115894995?discount=EarlyAdopter>
*
*—**save $349!*