> Did you add the FQDN of the server, the server's name, or both to the
> hosts file on the client?

  Our hosts only have a "node" name as we don't have nis/ldap/dns for
network name resolution.

  In this case the puppet master's hostname is "dev-puppet" and I did
not include that in the clients hostfile.  The entry I used is like
this

(clients hosts file)
X.X.X.X     puppet

  And on the puppetmaster server I used the following notation for the
client's hosts entry.  The real name of the client in this example is
"dev-sandbox" which is what I put in the puppetmasters hosts file.

(puppetmaster hosts file)
X.X.X.X     dev-sandbox

  Once the cert exchange is complete I can remove that hosts entry for
the client.

  Does that help?