> Out of curiosity, which part of puppet is causing this load? If it's
> the puppetmaster, well then, that shouldn't be a big problem. I'd
> recommend a dedicated puppetmaster in most setups anyway. Or when
> puppet is actually applying a whole manifest instead of just checking
> if things are set correctly? I've looked at our trending and I don't
> see any noticeable additional load on the machines, at least. Unless
> of course I'm rebuilding the entire server. But I don't care about
> puppet load at such times.

> A little nuance for us non-subscribers to Usenix would be welcome :)

Apologies - should have given some more details (I'll respect Usenix's
copyright so won't cut/paste wholesale)

The measured CPU was puppetd on the client, the command run was: /usr/
sbin/puppetd --no-daemonize --onetime

The result was either to add entries to /etc/hosts or to confirm the
contents of /etc/hosts.

Toby