On 05/12/10 00:31, Dan Bode wrote:

you guys don't use an external node classifier? Is there a reason you
prefer to declare nodes?

Why *should* I use an external node classifier?  I would just need to
invent a description language for describing my nodes, when there
already is an existing one in Puppet.

External node classifiers can only specify variables and classes,
not resources.  Big limitation.

And the absolute killer: as far as I know, external node classifiers
are global, not per environment.  It doesn't even get to know which
environment the node requested, so it is *impossible* for it to give
back the correct information to Puppet.

And so far I haven't found any big reason to use an external node
classifier even if the two problems above were solved.

        /Bellman