heya,

Excuse me if my understanding of your needs is completely out of whack :-).
Maybe you want to describe what you want to do with this data once you have
gathered it.

The reason we are doign this is to make sure that we have sufficient free
disk space on various mountpoints to actually run the application on the
server.

So this is something I'd like to enforce (or "ensure") as part of the
configuration. Which would best point to integrate this Facter-based check
into a Puppet configuration for a node?

@Doug: Thanks heaps for your Facter script =). Hmm, the only thing is,
ideally I'd like it to be cross-platform (Linux, Solaris and Windows) - it
seems there isn't really a abstracted way of checking this in-built into
Facter/Puppet, which is a shame.

We also need to check the file permissions on certain files, to make sure
the application will run correctly. I searched and found this:

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/1/wiki/File_Permission_Check_Patterns

which seems to do the job.

I would have thought these two things (checking free disk space on various
network mountpoints, and checking file/directory permissions) would be two
fairly common tasks when configuring out boxes. How do people normally
tackle this with Puppet?

Cheers,
Victor