On Mar 6, 2012, at 3:24 AM, Emilien wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up the following environment:
>
> Ldap containing
> users as posixaccount (uid, home directory,.... and an attribute
> containing their ssh public key).
> machines with an attribute indicating which users or user groups are
> allowed to ssh to the box
>
> What I'd like to do is the following:
>
> From puppetmaster, browse the ldap and
>
> loop on each machine
> Fetch the users allowed to login
> Loop on each user
> Fetch their uid, etc
> Fetch their ssh public key
> create the /home/$username/.ssh/authorized_keys file
> End loop
> Delete /home/$username for all users having no longer access to the
> box
> End loop
>
> This is needed because ssh server on machines is configured only with
> publickey auth so I need to put the authorized_keys file for them to
> be able to connect to the box.
>
> I don't really know where to start... I can manually create the
> authorized_key file on my puppet nodes but by manually specifying the
> user and the public key, I have to idea how to get the information
> from ldap and then loop in my script...
>
> I've tried looking at the documentation but don't really know where to
> start. I've found the wiki page on defining nodes inside ldap but I'm
> not sure that this is what I need.
>
> Thanks for your time,
----
I don't think that puppet is really the best tool for the job and that you
should probably reexamine the mission and you will find that there are better
implementations within LDAP (host based access).

I suppose if you were really determined to go down your path, you could write
some custom fact that gave you the output of 'ls /home' to get an overview of
who had home directories on each server but the puppet way would be to have
each server to put everyone's home directory (with public keys) and allow LDAP
(PAM/PADL/LDAP) to handle whether a particular user access a particular host.

Craig