On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Michael Stahnke <stah...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> Breaking the users list into two lists has its pros and cons.
>
> Pros:
> * Less code fragments in emails
> * Advanced users not bogged down with new user questions
>
> Cons:
> * Fragmentation of the user-base
> * Who will monitor/answer questions on a new user list?
> * New people may not learn from more experienced people, because the
> more experienced users may not subscribe to the new-users list

I'm -1 on separating the list. While there's a lot of discussion that
isn't relevant or interesting to me on the list, there's been a
non-trivial number of posts that have directly addressed issues I was
researching, or have helped me work through stumbling blocks. Some of
it is simple serendipity, but I'd have lost out on those things if I
was only subscribed to the -newbie list.

> We also hope that IRC is helpful and remains helpful.  I don't often
> see RTFM comments coming out in #puppet.  When I do, it's quite often
> because their exact question was already answered, with citations, and
> the user still didn't read it.  Also in this thread somebody mentioned
> helping those willing to help themselves.  That's a fair statement,
> but we really want to make this an accepting community to make
> everybody better at their workloads with Puppet.

For what it's worth, my experiences in the IRC channel have been
nothing but positive. Yes, my questions have been sometimes answered
with a simple link to existing documentation, but in most cases thus
far those links have been exactly what I needed. And it's worth
pointing out that the links were not provided with aggression or
derision, but a matter-of-fact "here's what you need."

Because there are multiple ways to use Puppet to resolve the problems
of configuration management, there seems to me to be a gulf between
what's documented and what people are using in production. Stated
another way, there's a gap between the "how" and the "why".

Cheers,
Scott