Hi list,

I am looking at configuration management tool options.

I have a large fleet (> 3,000 hosts) and highly heterogeneous
(RHEL3-5, CentOS, 5RH7, Solaris 10 LDOMs/zones, Solaris 8-9, AIX 5.3 &
6.1 LPARs, HP-UX & Tru64 + Windows).  We care mainly about RHEL and
new versions of Solaris & AIX but ability to compile on older versions
is an advantage.  Probably, the Windows will be managed by SCCM.

I have read that Puppet could have scalability problems to a site as
large as ours.  To keep this simple, I'd like feedback on whether that
is likely to be true for us.

A rep from CFengine has told me that ours would be the largest Puppet
site in the world (I think that's not true).  Could someone confirm?

General feedback also welcome.

Kind regards,
Alex Harvey