Hello,

I work at a university and my colleagues and I are considering Puppet for
installing and configuring our linux workstations. Being a university we
have a great variety in users, some very adept at maintaining their own
system and some not so much.  Now we were wondering(and I can't find it in
the documentation or on the intarwebz), can Puppet detect if a user has
changed a *.conf file him(her)self and NOT do anything to that *.conf file?
Since we have about 200 users now, which will probably grow to almost a
1000, we don't want to create different nodes which we than have to fill
manually for the users who do know what they're doing.
So my question is, can Puppet detect a user change on a file and in that
case don't do anything, where it would normally replace the file?

Tanks in advance.