Silly Question Number One:

What node definitions do you have in your manifest ?

Classically, you have *.pp files in /etc/puppet/manifest/nodes that are
referenced from /etc/puppet/manifest/site.pp

As an example, this line is in my site.pp file:

import "nodes/*-nodes.pp"

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)