Without a default node definition as an absolute minimum,
what is the Puppet Master supposed to do when queried by the Puppet
Client/Agent ?

I believe it will do exactly what your servers are doing: bupkis !

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bupkis

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)