I was able to get this working thanks to the the Puppet IRC channel, and
specifically Kelsey Hightower.

The gem didn't install things quite well enough for Puppet, and when I ran
the recommended command to get the sources in place for pluginsync, I
grabbed a newer version that just happened to have some other issues in it.

But I do have things working now.