A coworker and me are currently trying out puppet (2.7).

We enabled storeconfigs on client and server.

The client has been given access to the mysql-db that the puppet-master
uses for storeconfigs.
The client does not have any manifests on its local disk.
If we run 'puppet agent' on this client, it tells us that it is connecting
to the database.

With my limited understanding of the puppet workflow, I was thinking this
database-connection would actually do nothing, but I couldn't find any
documentation to back this.

Does the puppetmaster compile a catalog _including_ data from the mysql-db
and push it to the client?
Or does the puppetmaster just tell the client: fetch _this_ from the
database?

Is there any benefit from giving the client access to the mysql-db on the
puppet-master?
Am I missing something that is obvious to everybody but me?

Puzzled, Marco