On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:54 AM, marco <joedho...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> A coworker and me are currently trying out puppet (2.7).
>
> We enabled storeconfigs on client and server.
>
> The client has been given access to the mysql-db that the puppet-master uses
> for storeconfigs.
> The client does not have any manifests on its local disk.
> If we run 'puppet agent' on this client, it tells us that it is connecting
> to the database.

Typically, you don't need to enable this on the agent.

> With my limited understanding of the puppet workflow, I was thinking this
> database-connection would actually do nothing, but I couldn't find any
> documentation to back this.

The main reason to enable stored config option is to take advantage of
export/collect resource.

> Does the puppetmaster compile a catalog _including_ data from the mysql-db
> and push it to the client?
> Or does the puppetmaster just tell the client: fetch _this_ from the
> database?

The information flows in both direction, export resource writes
information as the result of the catalog compilation, and collect
resource query the database. Since catalog compilation is normally
puppet master's responsibility, the client have no reason to interact
with the database directly.

> Is there any benefit from giving the client access to the mysql-db on the
> puppet-master?
> Am I missing something that is obvious to everybody but me?

Enabling storeconfigs on the client supports exported/collect resource
via puppet apply, but that is a fairly unusual use case.

Nan