On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Laurence Cope
<amitywebsoluti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So does that mean I still have to manually setup server and install what I
> need, then just use Puppet to keep them all configured the way I want them?
>
> So I would still copy my virtual servers to create a new one (because it
> takes too long to setup a virtual server from scratch and install everything
> I need).
>
> I was hoping to find some sort of "server setup" automation tool so I can
> create a new CentOS VM for example, then just have something install all the
> software I need automatically.

Puppet can certainly do the 'install all the software I need
automatically' bit for you, but its and your job is made much easier
by asking/telling it to install software in your OSes 'native'
packaging format.  As you mention CentOS, that would be RPM.  RPMs for
Virtualmin can be found at http://www.webmin.com/vdownload.html.  In
order to have Puppet install that for you, you will need to create
your own Yum repository, have Puppet configure yum to make use of that
repo, then create a manifest that installs the package.

Hope this helps,

Matt.