Hello,

I have tested the branch
https://github.com/ripienaar/puppet/tree/feature/master/16856.
The basic functionality of the data in the module seems to work as desired.
Just a few things
- If only using the param auto-lookup not having a hiera.yaml file is ok
- if there is NO hiera.yaml config file, calling hiera() causes an error
"Error 400 on SERVER: undefined method `include?' for nil:NilClass"
- Having an empty hiera.yaml is ok when using a hiera(call)
- The lookup in the moduledata does not happen if only using the
auto-lookup of the class params, unless you manually specify "module_data"
as hiera backend.
- When using the hiera() call, specifying "module_data" as hiera backend is
not needed.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Stefan Goethals.