We're working on implementing hiera with our puppet 3 setup, and I'm
curious if the following is achievable. Currently, we manage each user
account within a class that realises a defined resource that creates the
user, groups, etc (for the record, we use the torrancew/account module). We
then have classes called groups::<group name> where we pull in all the user
classes we want in a specific manifest.

What I would like to do is move all the user info into hiera, and thus move
from 'groups' as we currently define them, to user accounts created
according to their position in the hierarchy. Unfortunately, I'm having
trouble working out how to do this. I could set up a hash within hiera and
then use the account module to create users from this hash, but I don't
think it's possible to create a batch of resources with differing
attributes (primarily the ssh key, but possibly others) using one resource.

I don't really want to have to pull all the resource setup out of the
account module since it makes things simpler for us, is there any other way
to get the result I'm after?

Thanks,
Guy