(I'm not sure how to phrase my question precisely, so this may not all be
totally clear.)

Has anybody else successfully moved away from using params.pp and default
values, and if so, what did you do and how did it go? If not, what made you go
back?

The only answer I can come up with is to stop using class parameters, change to
hiera functions, and put all my data defaults in common.yaml.

The background:

I've had a couple of odd (lab) situations where much troubleshooting was
occasioned by how I misspelled a key name in hiera and thus configuration data
was pulled from a default value (either params.pp or the parameter default
value). If there was no default value I would simply have gotten an error about
the lookup failure and fixed that quickly.

In a related matter, sometimes I need a piece of configuration data from one
module to appear in another module. Faked-up example, my SuperDaemon
configuration data has to be used by monit to supervise all the worker daemons
and by logrotate to rotate their individual log files. Some things are data
bindings, some are hiera()/hiera_array()/hiera_hash() on a case by case basis,
and it's messy.

In another related matter, explaining the combination of puppet inheritance
from params.pp, default values, hiera, and hiera functions makes people's eyes
glaze over. It would be easier to point people at hiera and say "source of
data, learn these three functions".

Things are mostly fine, I may just be wanting to tweak things, but it strikes
me there's a way to do all this with much less effort.