On 09/18/2014 04:40 PM, jcbollinger wrote:

> I'm not prepared to set up and run this test, but if it genuinely
> produces the results you describe then that demonstrates a bug.  Here
> are the docs on Puppet scope:
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/3/reference/lang_scope.html.  Here
> are the docs on referencing variables from templates:
> https://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/templating.html#referencing-variables.
> Inasmuch as this is one of the more heavily used areas of Puppet, I
> suspect that something else is going on in your environment, but if
> such a bug has indeed cropped up then I'm sure PuppetLabs would
> appreciate a bug report.

Aw man, that thread is way too voluminous for me to read in a spare
minute. But since you bring up templates - there was that bug, yes.

https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-1220

It led to dynamic scoping rearing its ugly head again, when variables
were used in templates. Not sure if this is the issue here, but it
might. The OP can verify this by setting parser=future.

Cheers,
Felix