Check out this WIP doc where I describe how to get intermediate certs
working. It *is* possible but there are a couple of caveats described in
the doc.

If anyone's motivated to try this out and let me know how it works for you
I'd be hugely appreciative. I got it to "works for me" level of readiness
but would like some further validation so we can move it up to being a
supported configuration with the bugs ironed out:

https://gist.github.com/ahpook/06d4cfda1d68c08bc82fbfdc40123b28

--eric0