On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 10:10:55 AM UTC-5, Henrik Lindberg wrote:

> [...]
> >             When I switch back to the puppet secondary-master, I get the
> >             duplicate class error.
> >
> >             They are both running puppet 3.8.7-1 on CentOS 6.
> >             The YAML produced by both is exactly 100% the same. So I can
> >             assume the YAML structure is not the issue.
> >
> >             Would this suggest that the puppet secondary-master server
> >             is the issue, or the client connecting to it is perhaps not
> >             always getting what it wants from the slave?
> >             Remember that the puppet updates will complete correctly for
> >             many hours, then magically change to this error. And
> >             vice-versa, be in error for many hours, and then magically
> >             change to completing correctly. Also that sometime changing
> >             configuration in The Forman can trigger the Error to occur
> >             AND other times trigger to Error to stop occurring.
> >             Also note, I only have this problem with the saz-rsyslog
> >             module - NEVER with any other puppet module.
> >             When I remove the saz-rsyslog module, all issues disappear.
> >

> >         I am not prepared to believe that identical implementations of
> >         Puppet's catalog builder running on substantially identical
> >         platforms with identical inputs behave differently.  Since you
> >         do see variations in behavior, therefore, I conclude that those
> >         differences can be attributed to differences in implementation,
> >         platform, or (most likely) inputs.
> >

> >             I have made sure the puppet modules are 100% in sync between
> >             primary and secondary master server.
> >             And I have restarted the puppet processes on the
> >             secondary-master server, but the error will continue on the
> >             nodes.
> >

> >         Those are good steps.  To really troubleshoot this thoroughly,
> >         however, I think you'll need to be systematic: capture the ENC
> >         output for each catalog request for a given node (or for all
> >         nodes), with timestamps and associated success / failure of
> >         catalog compilation.  Compare the ENC output for successful
> >         catalog builds with that for failed builds and look for
> systematics.
> >
> >         Either at the same time or separately, you should look into
> >         whether Puppet's environment cache has an impact here.  Some of
> >         the behaviors you describe make me rather suspicious of this.
> >         Supposing that you are using directory environments, you should
> >         experiment both with disabling caching altogether (set the
> >         environment_timeout configuration option to 0 (its default)) and
> >         with caching indefinitely (set environment_timeout to
> >         "unlimited").  Note that Puppet recommends against using any
> >         other setting for that option.  You could also try turning on
> >         the ignorecache option at the master.
> >

> >         John
> >

> >     So I ran a `puppet agent -t` on one of the problem nodes against the
> >     primary master puppet server (which was successful), and then
> >     afterwards the secondary master puppet server (which produces the
> >     duplicate declaration error for Class[Rsyslog]).
> >

> Just a thought. If it first works and then stops working it could be
> that the logic realizes exported resources and that it clashes with a

So, I have 4 networks. one network has the primary-master puppet server,
the other 3 have a secondary-master puppet server. Why do you think only
one of my secondary-master puppet servers would have this issue most of the
time, another secondary-master only some times, and a third
secondary-master and the primary-master not at all.

This such that a puppet update on a node from its local secondary-master
puppet server experienced the duplicate declaration. But running the puppet
update immediately after that but from the primary-master works
successfully without error.

Would you suppose I have puppet configured differently some how? And if so,
what configuration can I look at to try and find the root cause of this
issue?
Perhaps I can compare some configuration between the working
secondary-master and the non-working secondary master? What config might
this be?

All secondary-master puppet servers are identical, except of course for
host name and IP address.