Hi Eirik,

Facter 4 is the successor of Facter 3. Facter 3 was written in C++, and
Facter 4 is implemented from scratch in Ruby.
Facter 4 is  a "big deal" :D because:
- it aim for 100% compatibility with Facter 3
- as Facter 4 is written in Ruby, it is packaged as a Gem and can replace
Facter 2.x in many CI tests that were not using Facter 3 because it was not
packaged as a Gem.
- although our most important target is to reach compatibility with Facter
3, we already added new features like:
                        - granular fact blocking and caching (you are able
to cache/block almost any fact, from any level of the hierarchy);
                        - custom fact groups can be defined in facter.conf.
You can use these groups to cache or block all the facts in the specific
group;
                        - structured facts, in custom facts. You are able
to write custom facts with dot in their name and Facter 4 will
automatically create the hierarchy for you.

Facter 4 is already provided as a gem <https://rubygems.org/gems/facter> on
Rubygems and is intended to replace Facter 2.x in most deployment. If you
are using the latest puppet as a gem <https://rubygems.org/gems/puppet>,
then you are already using Facter 4 :)
Facter 4 is also packaged with puppet-agent AIO and can be enabled via a
feature flag `puppet config set facterng true`.  As we are still under
development we recommend that the feature flag be enabled only for testing
purposes and *not* for production.

And, you are not blind :D, currently there is no documentation for Facter
4, except the changelog
<https://github.com/puppetlabs/facter/blob/4.x/CHANGELOG.md>. We will
provide more details once Facter 4 is ready to fully replace Facter 3.

Best regards,
Bogdan Irimie