On 04/12/2018 02:13 PM, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 02:59:22PM +0300, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:
On Thu, Apr 12 2018 12:59:13 +0200, Fabian Grünbichler wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 05:40:50PM +0300, Lauri Tirkkonen wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 13 2018 10:25:47 +0100, Thomas Lamprecht wrote:
What Fabian meant with:
[...] our API has a timeout per request, [...]

is that our API already has 30 seconds as timeout for response,
so using 30 seconds here can be problematic.

As a quick easy improvement we could probably increase it from
5 to say 20-25 seconds, still below the API timeout, but nonetheless
multiple times higher than now.

Now that the CLA stuff is out of the way, here's a diff to do that then.

if you bump the timeout to 20, you need to check every non-worker call
path that ends up in zfs_request to verify that you don't call
zfs_request twice (because then you'd have a total timeout of 40 which
is over the 30s API request limit).

unless you have done that (and somehow provide a convincing argument
that you did), this cannot be applied. if you do that, you will quickly
realize that converting API endpoints that can trigger expensive storage
operations to workers makes more sense, which is why I originally
proposed that approach.

I have not done that. I submitted this diff because Thomas implied it
could be done: a quick and easy fix, that fixed a real problem for us.

I already stated in previous replies that we can only bump it after
careful analysis ;)

Knowing very close to zero about PVE code in general I'm much more
hesitant to do things like converting things to workers - I imagine that
will end up being a change so large that I'd likely give up before
finishing. You don't have to take my diff, of course, but I have no
plans to write your convert-to-worker diff either.

that's okay. in this case, we already have an async API call for what
you want to do - we'd simply need to switch the GUI to use it.

@Dominik: could we (either in general, or when detecting disks are
involved) use the async POST path instead of PUT for updating VM
configs?

yes, we could change the method for disks on vms/ct to post
the code also supports showing a task log if we get back a upid,etc.

in fact wolgang link already asked me about this, and i think
he works on that