Hi,

El 10/10/16 a las 13:46, Lindsay Mathieson escribió:
On 10/10/2016 8:19 PM, Brian :: wrote:
I think with clusters with VM type workload and at the scale that
proxmox users tend to build < 20 OSD servers that cache tier is adding
layer of complexity that isn't going to payback. If you want decent
IOPS / throughput at this scale with Ceph no spinning rust allowed
anywhere:)

I think you're right, for all the talk of small scale deployments and commodity hardware, ceph on the small business scale is a poor price/performance ratio. To get decent performance out of it you have to spend big on terrabyte SSD's, battery backed disk controllers etc.
We have multiple small scale ceph clusters in SMB, all the clients and ourselves very happy so far :)

Its a shame, the flexibility of it is really good and rock solid in the 9.x range if you don't push it :) Its ability to quickly heal only dirty data is outsanding. I just tested a simple 3 node setup backed by our ZFS pools and was only getting 50MB/s seq writes. If I added SSD journals that probably would have got to the 100MB/s level, which would have been good enough, but there is one deal breaker for us and thats snapshots - they are incredibly slow to restore, 45 minutes for one that was only a few minutes old. It gets worse the more writes you add. qcow2 snapshots on gluster only take a couple of minutes, and we use snapshots a lot for testing development and support.
But this is nonsense, ZFS backed Ceph?! You're supposed to give full disks to ceph, so that performance increases as you add more disks! :) Can't comment on snapshots, we don't use them.

Additionally i think it is error prone.
I ran into the problem, that a ssd stuck because it was full causing the complete storage to stuck.
It does seem to be very much a work in progress :)
I think cache pools are in better shape in 10.2.x, but we haven't used them.

Cheers
Eneko

--
Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico