On Fri, 14 Dec 2007, Ben Lau wrote:

  I have a Philips SPC900NC. I would like to disable the auto AGC and
shutter speed for another program that use GStreamer as input source.
The camera's parameter is tuned inside Camstream, and then pressed the
"Save user settings" button. However, the setting can not be preserved
for another program and even for camstream itself. Open the camera
again by camstream will restore to default setting unless the "Restore
user setting" button was pressed.
  How can I preserve the user setting for another program?

look at pwc-if.c :

        /* Initialize the webcam to sane value */
        pwc_set_brightness(pdev, 0x7fff);
        pwc_set_agc(pdev, 1, 0);

and delete that pwc_set_agc line, and perhaps the other one, too. I didn't try it, but a while ago, I did help someone about this: I told him to try this and he said it worked.