On Wed 2018-02-21 15:11:42 -0800, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2018, at 19:12, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <d...@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
>> Is there any reason *not* to ask command-line tools that are
>> python2-only to ship with a /usr/bin/python2 shebang line in debian and
>> to explicitly declare a dependency on python2.7 instead of python?
>
> I’m unfortunately not in a position to help much with this right now,
> but I’d say if there’s someone motivate to make the appropriate
> changes to the helpers, then no there’s no reason not to do this now.

I agree with Barry that fixing it in the helpers would be the right way
to go.

Alas, I don't have the time to work on the helpers either, but as a
proof that it works and no disaster is immediately apparent, i've gone
ahead and fixed up getmail (which is python2-only) to use the python2
shebang line, and has an explicit dependency on python2.7 instead of
python.

Please take a look at getmail 5.5-3 if you're interested in what the
package looks like.

If dh_python2 got updated to:

 A) force the python2 shebang line for any scripts installed in bin or
    sbin, and

 B) to evaluate the ${python:Depends} substvar to python2.7 instead of
    the current python:any (<< 2.8), python:any (>= 2.7.5-5~)

Then i'd be happy to revert the packaging changes to getmail and fall
back to the dh defaults :)

I'm not immersed enough in dh-python to know how to make those changes
myself right now, though.

     --dkg