On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Andreas Kloeckner
<li...@informa.tiker.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:21:29 -0500, Thomas Wiecki <thomas_wie...@brown.edu>
> wrote:
>> I am currently revisiting this but having some problems with the
>> random number generator.
>>
>> generator.generators_per_block is 512 on my card, so I initialize 512
>> generators, but I see that some of them don't produce random numbers
>> when sampling from them. I notice that in some subtle ways (mainly
>> that the distribution is not correct or all numbers are the same) if I
>> sample from more than 300-350 generators (always the last ones are
>> affected),  but it's fine when using e.g. 128. So it seems I can only
>> use a smaller number of generators than what the card says I should be
>> able to use.
>>
>> Any idea on why that might be or how to investigate this further?
>
> Mysterious. What generator is this using? XORWOW? Tomasz, any ideas?
>
> Andreas

Currently revisiting this with updated everything. So far I can't
reproduce my earlier odd behavior (after a certain size the random
numbers generated did not look random anymore).

One thing I did notice was that before generators_per_block returned
512, while now it returns 384. Interestingly that seems in the same
ball-park as the number I found empirically before (see above).

Was that a (Py)Cuda/curand bug perhaps that got fixed in the interim?

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Andreas Kloeckner
<li...@informa.tiker.net> wrote:
> Not for 2D arrays, but for 1D-arrays-viewed-as-2D-arrays--that's
> generator.fill_uniform() for example. There was a doc bug that kept
> these from showing up, fixed.

What is a 1D-arrays-viewed-as-2D-arrays?

Is the key the call to prepared_async_call()? Does this method take
care of calling the function the appropriate number of times if the
array to fill is bigger than generators_per_block?

Would this method help me if I had my own random process that I wanted
to use on arbitrary large array sizes?

Thomas