I'd like to start writing scripts for PyDev, but the Eclipse API documentation
is not geared for Python users, and nothing I've tried provides autocompletion
over the Jython->Java bridge.

Is there a REPL that I could use for experimenting with eclipse APIs in PyDev?
If not, could someone with a little more experience than me post a script that
would do something simple, like "evaluate the selection as Jython code in
eclipse, and insert the output into a console window"?  I'm not really sure how
to get started; since scripts get re-executed every time, I'm not really sure
where to put state, like a persistent namespace.