My understanding is that the scancodes -should- be in the same physical
location on every keyboard, whereas the keycodes will vary between keyboard
layouts. I think the SDL wiki sums up the situation pretty well:
https://wiki.libsdl.org/CategoryKeyboard

I read an SDL mailing list post about this recently, and the reason for the
current implementation (if I remember correctly) was:
Sometimes you want the locations to be the same, such as WASD should be
handled the same, regardless of what the keys are called. In other
instances, such as pressing "I" to bring up "Inventory", you want the key
to represent the actual letter of the alphabet.