Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Thinking more about it, I believe that scancodes are not the way to go.
Even if I want to have the game offer the WASD keys as a starting point,
and let's say it would be possible to use scancodes, then what happens when
we offer the player to configure the keys themselves. We will probably end
up with a mix of scancodes and *normal* keys.

A better way in my opinion would be to have some additional function in
pyglet which allow a program to know what is the actual key constant, given
a key constant on a defined keyboard layout. Something roughly similar to

my_key = get_key_from_keyboard(key.A, "US")

This would for instance return the constant key.A on a US keyboard, but
would return the key constant key.Q on a french keyboard. And when I say
keyboard, I mean virtual keyboard, ie. whatever the user chose to map its
keyboard to.

Le lundi 10 octobre 2016 17:01:06 UTC+2, Daniel Gillet a écrit :
> Hello,
> For a game, I want to allow the player to move with the keys WASD. But
> this is on a QWERTY keyboard. If someone had an AZERTY keyboard, it would
> be the keys ZQSD. In pygame and tkinter, it's possible to use the actual
> key scancode to uniquely identify a key on the keyboard, no matter what
> letter is attached to it. Do you think this would be possible in pyglet?
> I've looked a bit in the code, and it seems like this is not going to be
> possible, as pyglet already translate it to a virtual keyboard. But I
> thought I would ask, in case someone had a solution.
> Dan.

"pyglet-users" group.
To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at