I think the ideal method should be how it works now, whn using the
pyglet.resource module. Things are packed together as much as possible, but
it should still be able to function normally if you create your own
textures or texture atlases. It would be slower of course, but I think it
should at least work.

I've been reading up on various order independent transparancy techniches,
such as the one described in this blog:
https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/weighted-blended-oit/ There is
a link to the original PDF there as well.

All very interesting stuff. The impression that I'm getting is that
transparancy is not really a solved issue in the OpenGL world.