Am 03.01.2019 um 22:58 schrieb Christoph Zwerschke:
Am 03.01.2019 um 22:52 schrieb Justin Pryzby:

One thought ; should "name" be an kwarg with default name='' ?

Yes, that's a good idea. The parameters would then go in opposite order to the underlying libpq method, but it would be more pythonic.

So I have now made the name optional. But I'm not quite sure any more if we really want it that way. There are two drawbacks:

1. The order of params is now different from the underlying C function where the name comes first which could be confusing.

2. People might be tempted to leave out the name when calling query_formatted() with arguments, but then the first argument would be interpreted as the name. This may cause unexpected errors.

So maybe forcing the name to always be the first, non-optional parameter might be less confusing for users.

What do you think? Revert or leave it like that?

-- Christoph