There is also another check in mktar that verifies the number of top level files. This has increased in trunk because pgmodule.c has been split into several files. But you changed that number already.

Maybe in addition to checking the permissions, we could add the following lines that just set them properly, before that check:

find -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
find -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
chmod 755 docs/Makefile docs/make.bat
chmod 755 mktar mkdocs setup.py

But the check should still be there in order to make sure the permissions were in fact set properly and we're not running on some strange file system that doesn't support unix permissions.

-- Christoph