On 12/11/05, Jay R. Ashworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have it working now.
>
> I had to build SDL from tarball source -- the RPM wouldn't even
> ./configure, much less build a binary (which was my preferred
> approach).
>
> Building it required installing slang-devel and smpeg-devel, both of
> which were in the SuSE 9.3 collection, and, I don't *think*, anything
> else.

Evil. Just evil :)

> I note that it doesn't handle full-screen well (1280x1024), speedwise;
> is there something I should be doing there?

Yeah, I've noticed this, too; I think it's SDL having problems; the
notebook I'm running this thing on now has hardware-accelerated OpenGL
and if I try to run it higher than 800x600 at more than 30 fps, it
crawls and actually gets out of sync.

I tried adding pygame.HWSURFACE | pygame.DOUBLEBUF and similar options
to the cdgDisplayOptions variable, but it didn't seem to make anything
faster. Not sure what's slowing it down. Could just be the scaling
method; is there a way to scale *without* turning on smoothing? That'd
be handy.

> My production environment will be a little tiny window on my KJ
> display, and probably 640x480x8 on the playback monitor (are we doing
> dual-monitor yet?  Or will I have to do an X-splice somehow?); will
> that be fast enough to keep up?

I'm doing dual-monitor just fine with pycdg.py:

pycdg.py -x 800 -y 0 -w 800 -h 600 -s 60 track03.cdg

Works just fine on my second monitor (xinerama, baby :)

> And, finally, I note that my rip was kinda messy.  Will cdparanoia
> properly extract the subcode?  Is there error correction *on* the
> subcode?  Or am I going to have to preview all 4000 tracks before I
> turn them lose?

It depends on what mode(s) your CD reader rips in -- if you can rip
cooked instead of raw, I think that makes things better. No real proof
of this yet though :)

> (Will: there's another button for the interface: "Problem with track --
> rerip"  :-)

Noted.