On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:19:32PM +0000, Kelvin Lawson wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. So do you think this is an improvement on the
> previous performance? If it's difficult to tell with the new 1/4 second
> display-dropping code then let me know and I'll take it out.

Oh, it's definitely better,  It's not perfect, but it's imperfect in a
substantially less annoying way.  :-)

> If it's an improvement then maybe the thing to do is divide the screen
> into smaller segments.

Well, keep in mind that this is an exercise: the desktop machine I'm
testing on is at 1280x1024x24, but my production laptopm will almost
certainly be running that code against a 640x480x8 display.

So I won't actually need more fixing than you've already done... for
myself.

> I've made a few updates tonight, if you could help by trying them out
> that would be great. Although the last version only scaled the modified
> tiles, it still did a full update() on the entire screen. This one only
> updates the modified tile.

I'll give it a check.

> I've also removed a small delay that was in there to reduce CPU load
> (which stops it constantly polling for the current song time). I'm
> wondering whether some systems can hit this and block for a long time,
> doing no work at all. It will take your CPU load up to 100% if it wasn't
> already.

Hmmm...

> I also added some profiling code in there using the hotshot module. It
> hasn't turned out to be useful unfortunately - according to the
> documentation it doesn't play well with threads. The accumulated time it
> spews out is totally incorrect for instance. I've disabled it in there
> for now.

Bummer.  Let me go check it out.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        "Space is called 'space' because there's so much *space* there."
                - John Walker, of Fourmilab, on Trek's End