> Maybe I didn't read this correctly.  If it's working now (meaning the
> Alias handler overrides the wsgi handler), then you should be able to
> change the alias path and it would still work.  In this case your
> public directory is sim

>>> You can do this by putting a public directory inside your public
>>> directory.  If Pylons did this by default, people wouldn't be able to
>>> put static files at the top level, including /robots.txt and
>>> /favicon.ico which must be at the top level.
>>>
>> so i I place favicon.ico and robots.txt inside of public folder right
>> now they will show up without any changes in:
>>
>> localhost/robots.txt
>> localhost/favicon.ico  ??
>>

>> Another twist.....
>> Is there a variable in pylons config files that says what the prefix
>> name is? I would assume currently this variable would be set to:
>> somevar="/" points to /myapp/public/
>> and I would be able to change it to:
>> somevar="/public/" points to /myapp/public/
>> or
>> somevar="/public-myapp/" points to /myapp/public/
>>
>> The reason I'm asking is that robots, favico, etc all are served by
>> apache. The existing website takes care all of it, and has its own
>> /images/ folder etc.... so now my modwsgi served app is only
>> controlling localhost/myapp but still points to /images which causes a
>> problem. I need to to point to something custom I have defined
>> localhost/public-myapp/images/ . In the future I would add another
>> separate app that would run under localhost/mysecondapp with its own
>> public folder (localhost/public-mysecondapp which I would like to
>> easily rename to public-mynewapp just by changing the config file
>> without playing around with adding folders to public or creating
>> custom functions to server static folders.
>
> You have a pretty customized configuration.

I really don't consider this customized configuration. Its a standard
deploy action when you are extending functionality of some website
using pylons. I can never assume that pylons app will run under /.

 In the normal case, with
> the Pylons application at "/" and Apache not serving static files,
> Pylons serves the static files via the static middleware at the bottom
> of middleware.py:
>
>    static_app = StaticURLParser(config['pylons.paths']['static_files'])
>    app = Cascade([static_app, app])
>    return app
>
> Thus, /favicon.ico -> myapp/public/favicon.ico
>
> The static app is tried first for all URLs.  If it returns with HTTP
> 404 Not Found, the dynamic application 'app' is tried instead.
>
> So if you want static_app to assume a prefix (static/) on every URL...
> you'd have to look at the source to see if it can with an argument,
> and if not you'd have to write your own middleware based on it.

1. How could the middleware be changed to control the prefix.
Currently is set to "/" aka. "localhost/images" I would like to add a
variable in there that would allow me to change that prefix to
"/public-myapp" aka."localhost/public-myapp/images"?
2. Assuming I can do 1 (add a variable that controls static_files
prefix), how can I move it and add it to development.ini so it can be
set on individual basis?

When this variable is set the pylons app would know internally to look
for static files in localhost:port/public-myapp/images if run with
paster serve as well.

> If use use Apache's Alias directive to serve the static files, the
> wsgi application will never be invoked for them.  If it's working now
> (i.e., if the Alias module overrides the wsgi module), then you should
> be able to modify the path prefix to "Alias /public
> MYPYLONSAPP/public".  However, this will cause the static files to
> "move" from / to /public.  But the Pylons application doesn't know
> this, so it would continue to serve any request for /images, etc.  If
> you removed the Alias, the static files would no longer be found under
> /public.  You would have to set up your routing and hyperlinks to use
> the /public prefix, but then the application would break if the Alias
> were ever removed, because the URLs would not exist if the application
> served them.

no go then, unless I tell pylons app about the change.

You are correct on the problems with URL. If I create alias
images-myapp then my pylons app need to know that it has changed and I
think the only solution that doesn't require to constantly change
links, add folders etc is to have a config variable that changes the
static prefix in the middleware. I assume this would also not require
any changes in the html as far as URL of images are concerned because
it would be handled by the middleware.

> Therefore if you want to use /public, you should make a public
> subdirectory under public, *and* set up an Alias to it.  That way the
> application will continue to function normally no matter whether the
> Alias is enabled or not.  However, this won't work for /robots.txt and
> /favicon.ico, which the browser assumes are directly under the root
> URL.

no go then.

> You can move the entire Pylons application under a prefix such as
> /myapp, and then the static files would also be underneath it
> (/myapp/images -> myapp/public/images).  I think you have to set some
> prefix option in the INI file if you do this; search the Pylons wiki
> or list archive for an example.  Then the URLs produced by url_for
> will have the correct prefix.  I don't quite understand what you're
> trying to do in the last paragraph; but hopefull this will address
> some of it.

I'm trying to remember a case where above doesn't work.

Thanks,
Lucas