On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Lukasz Szybalski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Maybe I didn't read this correctly.  If it's working now (meaning the
>> Alias handler overrides the wsgi handler), then you should be able to
>> change the alias path and it would still work.  In this case your
>> public directory is sim

>>> so i I place favicon.ico and robots.txt inside of public folder right
>>> now they will show up without any changes in:
>>>
>>> localhost/robots.txt
>>> localhost/favicon.ico  ??
>>>

>>> Another twist.....
>>> Is there a variable in pylons config files that says what the prefix
>>> name is? I would assume currently this variable would be set to:
>>> somevar="/" points to /myapp/public/
>>> and I would be able to change it to:
>>> somevar="/public/" points to /myapp/public/
>>> or
>>> somevar="/public-myapp/" points to /myapp/public/
>>>
>>> The reason I'm asking is that robots, favico, etc all are served by
>>> apache. The existing website takes care all of it, and has its own
>>> /images/ folder etc.... so now my modwsgi served app is only
>>> controlling localhost/myapp but still points to /images which causes a
>>> problem. I need to to point to something custom I have defined
>>> localhost/public-myapp/images/ . In the future I would add another
>>> separate app that would run under localhost/mysecondapp with its own
>>> public folder (localhost/public-mysecondapp which I would like to
>>> easily rename to public-mynewapp just by changing the config file
>>> without playing around with adding folders to public or creating
>>> custom functions to server static folders.
>>
>> You have a pretty customized configuration.
>
> I really don't consider this customized configuration. Its a standard
> deploy action when you are extending functionality of some website
> using pylons. I can never assume that pylons app will run under /.
>
>  In the normal case, with
>> the Pylons application at "/" and Apache not serving static files,
>> Pylons serves the static files via the static middleware at the bottom
>> of middleware.py:
>>
>>    static_app = StaticURLParser(config['pylons.paths']['static_files'])
>>    app = Cascade([static_app, app])
>>    return app
>>
>> Thus, /favicon.ico -> myapp/public/favicon.ico

Not sure if this can help you guys but in Turbogears 1 there were
settings in app.cfg that stated the following:

[/static]
static_filter.on = True
static_filter.dir = "%(top_level_dir)s/static"

[/favicon.ico]
static_filter.on = True
static_filter.file = "%(top_level_dir)s/static/images/favicon.ico"

Is anything like this available via pylons????

>> You can move the entire Pylons application under a prefix such as
>> /myapp, and then the static files would also be underneath it
>> (/myapp/images -> myapp/public/images).  I think you have to set some
>> prefix option in the INI file if you do this; search the Pylons wiki
>> or list archive for an example.  Then the URLs produced by url_for
>> will have the correct prefix.  I don't quite understand what you're
>> trying to do in the last paragraph; but hopefull this will address
>> some of it.

I've added the prefix but the image location is still pointing to
/images and not /myapp/images???

filter-with = proxy-prefix
[filter:proxy-prefix]
use = egg:PasteDeploy#prefix